OUTCASTS ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
STALYBRIDGE STATION BUFFET BAR
1) APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Pete Kidd, Andy Lowe, Matthew Cripps, Steve Hewitt
2) IN ATTENDANCE
Les Cooper (chair), Keith Ambrey, Steve Potter, Eric Shufflebotham, Ted Noone, Colin Wood, Ernest Connell, Pete Taylor, Ron Truesdale, Chris Truesdale, Steve Ramsden, Tony Williams, Roger Dewhurst, Paul Mooney, Graham Oldfield
3) MINUTES OF LAST MEETING ON 26.02.09
Approved as a correct record
4) MATTERS ARISING
The issue of touching Peel Monument to ensure good luck for the coming season was raised by Tony, although there had been little evidence of a positive outcome in terms of results, from this action, last season. It was agreed that this would be considered under forthcoming social events.
5) TREASURER’S REPORT
The Outcasts Accounts for 2009/10 were duly circulated. Steve gave a very positive financial report, and explained that we are fine for cash. This is without a six figure bonus being paid. The opening balance for 2009/10 had been £214, and the closing balance £538, although for comparison purposes the cost of nets ( approximately £280) would have to be deducted from the closing balance. Steve was complemented on his prudent financial management- a future Chancellor in waiting.
6) CAPTAINS REPORT
Ron reported on the season. Out of 22 games, The Outcasts had won 5, loss 9 and 8 had been called off due to the bad summer. Overall it had been a poor season, and we had not played as well as we could. Ron felt that we should put the season down to experience, and look forward to next. However, it was felt that we had not been embarrassed, and there had been quite a few close results. Ron was thanked for his efforts as captain, and the challenge of getting results at the same time as ensuring everyone is given the opportunity to participate in games was fully appreciated.
7) SOCIAL SECRETARY’S REPORT
Keith outlined another very successful year, in which many people had contributed to organising social events. 2009 included:-
1) January 30th to February 2nd Lakes walking trip, Kirkstile Inn, Loweswater
2) April 18th Trip to Peel Monument, Summerseat
3) April 28th Snooker- Sheffield
4) May 29th -Stockport Beer Festival
5) June 3rd/6th - Dorset
6) September 14th Social Gathering Manchester
7) September 18th/21st Walking Trip Northumberland
8) October 2nd/5th -Outcasts Overseas Trip to Ghent and Brussels
9) October 17th- Trip Nottingham
10) October 22nd -Stalybridge Pie and Peas and beer
11) November 13th Silver Boot- Didsbury
12) December 3rd - Trip Liverpool
13) December 14th -Xmas get together in town
Thanks to all who arranged the events
8) ELECTION OF CLUB OFFICIALS FOR 2010
1 Treasurer- Taking into account many years of financial prudence, Steve was duly re-elected as Treasurer
2 Team Captain- Ron stated that he did not wish to stand again this year, and was thanked for his sterling efforts in previous years. After long discussion, and taking into account his ability to shift copious amounts of food, “2 Pies Cooper” was nominated and agreed to take up the reins for the forthcoming season, supported by Vice Captains when not available.
3 Vice Captains- To maintain some balance “One Butty Ramsden” was elected as official deputy, although others agreed to fulfill this role if required.
4 Nets Secretary- Eric was elected unopposed
5 Social Secretary-Keith unopposed
6 Fixture Secretary-Steve R-unopposed
9) ARRANGEMENT OF FIXTURES/ PREFERRED OPPONENTS
Steve R reported that we have been invited back to SW Manchester. Steve Price has gone, and been replaced by Bob Lomas. Until SW Manchesters’ junior fixtures are sorted, it will not be possible to identify dates for home games. At this stage, 4 fixtures have been organised including Hebden Bridge on 15th May. Steve will update as things progress.
It was agreed that the fixture with the Economists had probably run its course.
Colin asked how many GMC Districts we still played against. It was noted that this had only included Wigan on a regular basis, although last year we played against Trafford Borough and there has been a fixture with Salford Personnel. It was noted that the fixture with Cheetham Hill had ended out of choice. If anyone has any contacts regarding possible new mid-week fixtures, can they let Steve R know.
10) WEEKEND MATCHES- REVIEW OF POTENTIAL OPPONENTS
Hebden Bridge confirmed for 15th May. Steve stated that Staffordshire had expressed interest in a fixture and it was agreed that we should pursue this if they are prepared to come to Manchester. Steve Potter agreed to explore a fixture with the MOB X1. Eric indicated that he was exploring the possibility of a fixture with Charlesworth over 40s Team.
11) KIT / EQUIPMENT-REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SEASON
It was confirmed that Pete's pencil still had years of life left in it.
It was agreed that Eric would sort out a new equipment bag and Steve some new balls given the dissatisfaction of having to use “shitty old ones“. It was noted that the wicket keeping gloves were past their best and a new pair could be purchased at Steve Rs discretion. It was not felt that thigh pads should be purchased.
It was noted that 2011 will clock up 25 years since the Cricket Team was formed. (For those who can’t remember, some of us had hair, could run and were able to throw the ball in those days. Other members of the squad were not born).To celebrate this glorious occasion, it was agreed that the availability of logo specific cricket and polo shirts should be pursued. Chris agreed to make initial enquiries and report back.
12) SUBSCRIPTIONS/MATCH FEES
It was agreed that subscriptions would increase to £22 and match fees and net fees would stay at £4. Again, this assumes that there will not be a significant increase in the cost of the South West Manchester pitch. It was further agreed that in light of the telephone costs etc. Steve R incurs in arranging fixtures, communicating cancelled games etc. his subscription would be waived.
13) DORSET TOUR- UPDATE
Roger explained that there were 2 options in terms of dates for the Tour- weekend of June 18/21st and June 25/28th. Berwick Manor is available on both these dates. In addition, The Farmhouse (accommodates 12 people) is available on the 18/21st , and the Carriage House (accommodates 6 people) is available on the 25/28th . From the replies, Roger explained that we now have sufficient numbers of players for a Team, and overall, numbers are similar to last year.
The 25/28th was preferred, and it was agreed that Roger would book accommodation for this weekend subject to it being acceptable to the Dorset cricket teams. Roger would decide whether we need to book the Carriage House as well, once numbers requiring accommodation are clearer. Roger was thanks for all his efforts.
14) REVIEW OF AVAILABLE SQUAD/ NEW BLOOD PROSPECTS
Colin Wood was welcomed back to the fold. A number of new names were suggested (Ade Woollard, Brenden Bostock?). It was also felt that Scotts Dad should be included as a full member of the Squad, although his working hours may make this difficult. Contact should be maintained with Shahid who should be considered for appropriate games.
Allrounder was complemented on further improvements to the Website this year. In addition Bibulus was congratulated on the quality of the wine reports.
It was agreed that efforts should be made to build up a collection of photos of cricket grounds visited.
Ted raised concerns regarding the missing match reports that had not appeared on the website, in particular those relating to the Tour. It was agreed that people should be nominated in advance to write the reports, and the work should be shared round. Those who don’t deliver will be whipped.
16) CHANGES TO COMMUNICATION DEVICES
It was agreed that one central point is needed, and this should be the website, to succeed Petes folders. It was noted that there are ways and means of protecting this information so that it is only accessible to Outcasts. Please forward changes to landline phone, mobile phone, E Mail addresses etc. to firstname.lastname@example.org
17) FUTURE SOCIAL EVENTS
Trip to Peel Monument, and gift of Marmite to the Gods- pre season- Keith/Les
Yorkshire Dales- end of April- Roger
April 17-24 Canal Trip- Eric
International Cricket at Old Trafford- Keith will E Mail People
Trip to Europe- October- Pete
Golf Day -end of season, probably a Wednesday in September. Preference for Municipal Course- Ted
It was agreed that the annual events should continue, with the kind support of the usual organisers ie Stockport Beer Festival (Chris T), Stalybridge Pie and Peas (Eric), and Nantwich Food Festival (Pete). Keith, Steve, Graham and Eric would work on walking trips- Lakes/Northumberland.
18) ANY OTHER BUSINESS
It was agreed that Stalybridge Station Buffet should be the preferred location for future AGMs
A query was raised as to whether we needed to Register the name Outcasts CC, as a club with the same name exists in the Lincoln area. Les confirmed that the clubs internet address is registered, therefore no action is required.
Les was thanked for his Chairmanship of the meeting, and attendees staggered off, much the worse for copious amounts of beer and black peas. Will the ozone layer survive the concequences?